Vendors: Invoice Details in Liquid
Learn to navigate the Invoices section in Liquid to get paid faster.
Using Liquid to Invoice clients helps get you paid faster while keeping your Invoices organized against Projects. Here’s how to navigate the Invoices section as a Vendor (if you need help navigating the Invoices section as a Client, visit this post):
- Creating Invoices via + Invoices button
- Resend Invoices
- Print Invoices
- Invoice Statuses
- Invoice – Project Matching
- Project Details Tab on Invoices
- Invoice History Tab on Invoices
- Recorded Audit Trail Tab on Invoices
We power the liquid workforce.
In the Invoices section in Liquid, you can view all Invoices you have sent to your Clients, as well as Invoices your Clients have uploaded on your behalf. You can choose to sort this list of Invoices in various ways by clicking on the header row. At the moment, you can sort by Invoice Number, Invoice Transmittal Date, Client Name, or Invoice Status.
Clicking any of the rows that appear in the Invoices section in Liquid will navigate you to the detailed Invoice view for that specific Invoice.
Creating Invoices via + Invoice Button
In the Invoices section in Liquid, you can use the + Invoice button to send Invoices if you have entered a bank account in Settings —> Getting Paid. If you have entered a Getting Paid bank account, the status of that account must be Verified to send Invoices.
If you have a Verified Getting Paid bank account, then upon pressing the + Invoice button, you will be prompted to pick a Client from the list of Clients for which you have completed onboarding. If you don’t see your Client listed, you can email your Client to invite them to try Liquid. Once you have selected a Client, you will be prompted to pick an existing Project that the Invoice is for. Only Projects that are Active are shown. Note that if a Project is Active but has multiple deliverables, you will not be able to submit an Invoice for any deliverables that have not been accepted (but can submit for accepted deliverables on that Project). You can also create Invoices from specific project pages.
The payment terms are set by the Client and not editable. If you would like your Invoice to reflect terms other than what your Client has set, please message them and ask them to update the Payment Terms on your Vendor Card. In the event you have emailed your Invoice to your Client, your Client may upload your Invoice to Liquid for payment or record keeping.
Detailed Invoice View: Resend or Print
At the top of the detailed Invoice view for a specific Invoice is an area titled Here are the actions you can take for this Invoice, which is hidden by default but.can be expanded by clicking. In this section, you can Resend this Invoice to your Client.
You can also press Print Invoice to print the Invoice. Some users use this feature to save a PDF of the Invoice for record-keeping elsewhere.
Detailed Invoice View: Invoice Status
The Invoice Status is listed on the top right of each Invoice. The Invoice Statuses are:
- Draft: This will be shown when your Invoice is a saved draft that has never been sent to your Client. This is the only type of Invoice that may be edited or deleted.
- Sent: This will be shown when your Invoice has been sent to your Client. Once your invoice has been Sent it cannot be edited or deleted.
- Rejected: This will be shown when your Client has rejected the Invoice and sent it back to you. You will always be able to view these Rejected Invoices. To send your Client a revised Invoice, you will Clone the Invoice to make revisions. You will then be able to send the revised Invoice as a new Invoice that references the original Rejected Invoice. You may also save the revised Invoice as a Draft.
- Payment Incoming: This will be shown once your Client has initiated a payment, but before it has arrived in your bank account connected to Liquid via Getting Paid Settings (Payment Complete).
- Payment Failure: This will be shown in the unlikely event that there was an issue with the payment, whether it was an issue with debiting your Client’s account or crediting your account.
- Payment Complete: This will be shown once the payment has arrived in your bank account.
- Paid Outside of Liquid: If your Client has paid the Invoice outside of Liquid, you or your Client can manually change the Invoice state to Paid Outside of Liquid. This is the only manual Invoice state change. Note – marking an Invoice as Paid Outside of Liquid is for your recordkeeping purposes only, and does not update the Invoice status for your Client. Therefore, your Client may still, if they choose, pay this Invoice through Liquid.
Detailed Invoice View: Invoice – Project Matching
Liquid has a robust proprietary Invoice – Project matching system that flags potential issues with Invoices to provide you with additional information to help you decide whether to pay or reject an Invoice.
Invoices received in Liquid have a badge that states whether or not the Invoice matches an existing Project. This provides quick visibility into whether Invoices are appropriate, preventing a host of potential issues — double payment, overpayment, etc.
- If the Invoice matches, there will be a green badge stating, “This Invoice matches your Project.”
- If the Invoice has any potential issues, there will be a red or yellow badge with a message stating what issues you should be aware of.
The appearance of a red or yellow badge will not prevent you from sending the Invoice, nor will it prevent your Client from paying the Invoice.
Detailed Invoice View: Project Details tab
In order to make comparing the Project against the received Invoice easier, you can find the Project Details tab at the bottom of this detailed Invoice view. Listed on this tab are details about the Project related to this specific Invoice (details that are shown on the Project detailed view — accessible by clicking the Project card from the Project section). Suppose the specific Invoice you are viewing is not associated with a Project (i.e., the Invoice was uploaded from a file rather than created in Liquid). In that case, this tab will have a red warning symbol (a triangle with an exclamation point inside), and you will not be able to view any Project details.
Detailed Invoice View: Invoice History Tab
Also included on this detailed Invoices view is an Invoice History tab. All Invoices between your business and this Client, except for those invoices with Rejected status, are listed on this tab. In other words, Invoices with these statuses will be visible — Ready to Pay, Rejected, Needs Processor Review, In Approvals, Payment Initiated, Payment Complete.
Clicking on a particular row in this Invoice History tab will pull up a mini pop-up version of the specific Invoice.
Recorded Audit Trail Tab
Also included on this detailed Invoices view is a Recorded Audit Trail tab, coming soon! Listed on this tab will be information on all actions taken on each specific Invoice.
Need help with invoicing in Liquid? Use the chat to reach out to us anytime!
Updated: April 26, 2021